That's right, folks, at the Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival you can celebrate nature's meat candy in style! The theme of this year's event is "Fields of Bacon…If You Fry It, They Will Come". I have to admit, I lolled.
|Chocolate covered bacon|
Did I read that right? "Bacon Showcase"? Oh yes I did!
|This is their mascot... cooking bacon!|
They also have $125 tickets that get you into the main festival as well as into something called the Bacon Elegance Dinner. I don't know about you, but "Bacon Elegance" sounds like it's one o' them fancy sit-down dinners to me. Heh. This takes place on Tuesday night, February 22nd, so unless you want to spend the whole week there, it's probably more for locals.
Here's the info from their site:
The 4th Annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival
- What – Fourth Annual Blue Ribbon Bacon Festival
- When – Saturday, February 26th, 10am – 4pm
- Where – Capital Square, 400 Locust Street, Des Moines, IA 50309
- Attendance – Planning to accommodate over 1,500 bacon lovers
- Tickets – Tickets are $40 for entry into the main event, and $125 for entry to the festival as well as the Bacon Elegance Dinner on the evening of February 22nd. The main event ticket entitles the holder to a commemorative T-shirt, koozie, a wide array of bacon inspired delights from various food vendors, unlimited bacon samples at the Bacon Showcase, live music, bacon educational lectures, and a free drink ticket. Due to 2010’s quick sellout, the maximum ticket purchase will be two (2) per order.
- Consumption –Last year’s 750 attendees consumed 1,200 lbs of bacon which is approximately 30,000 strips. If laid end to end it would reach the height of Empire State Building, 12 times over!
Hmmmm... I wonder if a ticket and travel expenses would be tax deductible.
Photos are linked from Blue Ribbon Bacon's Public Gallery on Picasa and are copyrighted by their authors.
Like us on Facebook: